Kobe Bryant is one of the most decorated NBA stars of all time, and one of the highest paid. That fact, in some part, is down to his Nike endorsements, one of which is the KOBE elite basketball shoe series.
Last week saw Nike reveal the ninth show in that series simply named the KOBE 9, and listed the staggering material technologies that have gone in to the making, including flyknit, flywire and lunarlon cushioning technology.
Of the KOBE 9, Mark Parker, president & CEO of Nike said, “We are just scratching the surface of the potential of NIKE flyknit to transform the way we design shoes to meet athletes’ needs. the KOBE 9 redefines the basketball shoe by combining power, strength, and flexibility with lightweight materials and a whole new method of manufacturing.”
Here are the key facts of the design…
• NIKE flyknit and flywire technologies are a one-two punch, leading to a dynamic fit for KOBE’s intricate footwork.
• The single layer NIKE flyknit creates a seamless engineered upper that is the ultimate in superior lightweight performance integrating areas of high breathability, stretch and support where it’s needed most.
• NIKE flywire technology is strong yet dynamic for lockdown through the midfoot; its cables loosen and tighten with the natural motion of the foot.
• the carbon fiber heel counter provides strong and lightweight lateral stability when moving from side to side, while the heel remains stable.
• eliminating bulk and distraction was a focus for avar. the idea of ‘simplifying without compromise’ helped shape the design of the KOBE 9 elite.
• NIKE lunarlon cushioning insert provides responsive cushioning that keeps the foot connected to the court.
• the pressure mapping designed, minimal rubber outsole delivers durable traction and mimics the natural contours of the foot.
The KOBE 9 elite releases globally on February 8th 2014, at NIKE.com and select global retail locations.